Current:Home > MarketsSean ‘Diddy’ Combs to stay in jail while appeals court takes up bail fight -MoneyStream
Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs to stay in jail while appeals court takes up bail fight
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 19:43:15
NEW YORK (AP) — A federal appeals court judge has ruled to keep Sean “Diddy” Combs locked up while he makes a third bid for bail in his sex trafficking case, which is slated to go to trial in May.
In a decision filed Friday, Circuit Judge William J. Nardini denied the hip-hop mogul’s immediate release from jail while a three-judge panel weighs his bail request.
Combs’ lawyers appealed to the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Sept. 30 after two judges rejected his release.
Combs, 54, has been held at a federal jail in Brooklyn since his Sept. 16 arrest on charges that he used his “power and prestige” as a music star to induce female victims into drugged-up, elaborately produced sexual performances with male sex workers in events dubbed “Freak Offs.”
Combs has pleaded not guilty to racketeering conspiracy and sex trafficking charges alleging he coerced and abused women for years with help from a network of associates and employees while silencing victims through blackmail and violence, including kidnapping, arson and physical beatings.
At a bail hearing three weeks ago, a judge rejected the defense’s $50 million bail proposal that would’ve allowed the “I’ll Be Missing You” singer to be placed under house arrest at his Florida mansion with GPS monitoring and strict limits on visitors.
Judge Andrew L. Carter Jr., who has since recused himself from the case, said that prosecutors had presented “clear and convincing evidence” that Combs is a danger to the community. He said “no condition or set of conditions” could guard against the risk of Combs obstructing the investigation or threatening or harming witnesses.
In their appeal, Combs’ lawyers argued that the judge had “endorsed the government’s exaggerated rhetoric” and ordered Combs detained for “purely speculative reasons.”
“Indeed, hardly a risk of flight, he is a 54-year-old father of seven, a U.S. citizen, an extraordinarily successful artist, businessman, and philanthropist, and one of the most recognizable people on earth,” the lawyers wrote.
Combs’ lawyers have not asked the new trial judge, Arun Subramanian, to consider releasing him on bail. At a hearing Thursday, as Combs sat alongside his lawyers in a beige jail jumpsuit, Subramanian suggested he would at least be open to taking up the issue.
After setting a May 5 trial date, Subramanian briefly questioned Combs’ lawyers about his treatment at the Metropolitan Detention Center, which has been plagued by violence and dysfunction for years.
Combs lawyer Mark Agnifilo, who had previously sought to have him moved to a jail in New Jersey, told the judge: “We’re making a go of the MDC. The MDC has been very responsive for us.”
Another Combs lawyer, Anthony Ricco, told reporters outside the courthouse afterward: “He’s doing fine. It’s a difficult circumstance. He’s making the best of the situation.”
But, Ricco said: “Nobody’s OK with staying in jail for now.”
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Kyle Richards Claps Back at “Damage Control” Claim After Sharing Family Photo With Mauricio Umansky
- Amazon Prime Day 2023 Fashion: See What Model Rocky Barnes Added to Her Cart
- Trader Joe's has issued recalls for 2 types of cookies that could contain rocks
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- After Criticism, Gas Industry Official Withdraws as Candidate for Maryland’s Public Service Commission
- Army Corps of Engineers Withdraws Approval of Plans to Dredge a Superfund Site on the Texas Gulf Coast for Oil Tanker Traffic
- Proof Emily Blunt and Matt Damon's Kids Have the Most Precious Friendship
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- Al Gore Talks Climate Progress, Setbacks and the First Rule of Holes: Stop Digging
Ranking
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Water as Part of the Climate Solution
- Summer School 2: Competition and the cheaper sneaker
- El Niño will likely continue into early 2024, driving even more hot weather
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- “Strong and Well” Jamie Foxx Helps Return Fan’s Lost Purse During Outing in Chicago
- Up First briefing: Climate-conscious buildings; Texas abortion bans; GMO mosquitoes
- House Republicans' CHOICE Act would roll back some Obamacare protections
Recommendation
Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
Wes Moore Names Two Members to Maryland Public Service Commission
A mom owed nearly $102,000 for her son's stay in a state mental health hospital
Here's what happens to the body in extreme temperatures — and how heat becomes deadly
Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
Illinois Clean Energy Law’s Failed Promises: No New Jobs or Job-Training
Your air conditioner isn't built for this heat. 5 tips can boost performance
Chris Hemsworth Shares Rare Glimpse of Marvelous Family Vacation With His 3 Kids