Current:Home > MyEchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|Both sides argue for resolution of verdict dispute in New Hampshire youth center abuse case -MoneyStream
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|Both sides argue for resolution of verdict dispute in New Hampshire youth center abuse case
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-07 05:09:54
CONCORD,EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center N.H. (AP) — The $38 million verdict in a landmark lawsuit over abuse at New Hampshire’s youth detention center remains disputed nearly four months later, with both sides submitting final requests to the judge this week.
“The time is nigh to have the issues fully briefed and decided,” Judge Andrew Schulman wrote in an order early this month giving parties until Wednesday to submit their motions and supporting documents.
At issue is the $18 million in compensatory damages and $20 million in enhanced damages a jury awarded to David Meehan in May after a monthlong trial. His allegations of horrific sexual and physical abuse at the Youth Development Center in 1990s led to a broad criminal investigation resulting in multiple arrests, and his lawsuit seeking to hold the state accountable was the first of more than 1,100 to go to trial.
The dispute involves part of the verdict form in which jurors found the state liable for only “incident” of abuse at the Manchester facility, now called the Sununu Youth Services Center. The jury wasn’t told that state law caps claims against the state at $475,000 per “incident,” and some jurors later said they wrote “one” on the verdict form to reflect a single case of post-traumatic stress disorder resulting from more than 100 episodes of physical, sexual and emotional abuse.
In an earlier order, Schulman said imposing the cap, as the state has requested, would be an “unconscionable miscarriage of justice.” But he suggested in his Aug. 1 order that the only other option would be ordering a new trial, given that the state declined to allow him to adjust the number of incidents.
Meehan’s lawyers, however, have asked Schulman to set aside just the portion of the verdict in which jurors wrote one incident, allowing the $38 million to stand, or to order a new trial focused only on determining the number of incidents.
“The court should not be so quick to throw the baby out with the bath water based on a singular and isolated jury error,” they wrote.
“Forcing a man — who the jury has concluded was severely harmed due to the state’s wanton, malicious, or oppressive conduct — to choose between reliving his nightmare, again, in a new and very public trial, or accepting 1/80th of the jury’s intended award, is a grave injustice that cannot be tolerated in a court of law,” wrote attorneys Rus Rilee and David Vicinanzo.
Attorneys for the state, however, filed a lengthy explanation of why imposing the cap is the only correct way to proceed. They said jurors could have found that the state’s negligence caused “a single, harmful environment” in which Meehan was harmed, or they may have believed his testimony only about a single episodic incident.
In making the latter argument, they referred to an expert’s testimony “that the mere fact that plaintiff may sincerely believe he was serially raped does not mean that he actually was.”
Meehan, 42, went to police in 2017 to report the abuse and sued the state three years later. Since then, 11 former state workers have been arrested, although one has since died and charges against another were dropped after the man, now in his early 80s, was found incompetent to stand trial.
The first criminal case goes to trial Monday. Victor Malavet, who has pleaded not guilty to 12 counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault, is accused of assaulting a teenage girl at a pretrial facility in Concord in 2001.
veryGood! (916)
Related
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Spooky savings: 23 businesses offering Halloween discounts from DoorDash, Red Lobster, Chipotle, more
- Like writing to Santa Claus: Doctor lands on 'Flower Moon' set after letter to Scorsese
- Thousands of Ukrainians run to commemorate those killed in the war
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Steelers star safety Minkah Fitzpatrick leaves game against Jags with hamstring injury
- Video game adaptation ‘Five Nights at Freddy’s’ notches $130 million global debut
- Watch as a curious bear rings a doorbell at a California home late at night
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- African tortoise reunites with its owner after being missing for 3 years in Florida
Ranking
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Live updates | Israeli military intensifies strikes on Gaza including underground targets
- Bangladesh police detain key opposition figure, a day after clashes left one dead and scores injured
- Mass graves, unclaimed bodies and overcrowded cemeteries. The war robs Gaza of funeral rites
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- What is a walking school bus? Hint: It has no tires but lots of feet and lots of soul
- Manhunt for Maine shooting suspect Robert Card prompts underwater searches
- Last Beatles song, Now And Then, will be released Nov. 2 with help from AI
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Rangers star Corey Seager shows raw emotion in dramatic World Series comeback
Flames vs. Oilers in NHL Heritage Classic: Time, TV, weather for Commonwealth Stadium
West Virginia's Akok Akok 'stable' at hospital after 'medical emergency' in exhibition game
Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
Why Bachelor Nation's Catherine Lowe Credits Husband Sean Lowe for Helping to Save Their Son's Life
An Alabama Coal Plant Once Again Nabs the Dubious Title of the Nation’s Worst Greenhouse Gas Polluter
Maine shooting press conference: Watch updates from officials on Robert Card investigation