Current:Home > ContactRekubit-Surge in outbreaks tests China's easing of zero-COVID policy -MoneyStream
Rekubit-Surge in outbreaks tests China's easing of zero-COVID policy
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 18:09:02
Earlier this month,Rekubit the China Communist Party's top leadership body slightly relaxed the country's strict zero-COVID policies, raising a glimmer of hope that the government was seriously considering eventually lifting its public health controls.
But as COVID cases are once again on the rise across the country, cities are once again locking down thousands of neighborhoods, including in the capital of Beijing, and sending close contacts to quarantine centers — raising questions about how serious authorities are about one day fading out the zero-COVID policy.
"This is the typical policy dilemma that the Chinese leaders face," said Yanzhong Huang, a senior fellow for global health at the Council on Foreign Relations at Seton Hall University in New Jersey. "When you relax and open up, it will lead to chaos, and when you tighten policy, it will be too rigid to allow any flexibility."
On Tuesday, China logged 28,883 new cases a day, a dramatic spike in a country that has grown accustomed to no more than a few hundred cases a day. Nearly half of the new cases are clustered in the southern city of Guangzhou and the southwestern municipality of Chongqing. Guangzhou ordered a five-day lockdown in its most populous Baiyun district until at least this Friday.
All 41,000 quarantine spots it had available were already filled as Chongqing raced to contain the newest outbreak, said Li Pan, deputy director of the Chongqing Health Commission at a news conference. The municipality announced it was speeding up the construction of new quarantine facilities capable of holding another 47,000 people. More than 5,000 construction workers labored around the clock to open a makeshift quarantine center within just five days.
Many Chinese cities have also resumed mass, mandatory COVID testing, reviving concerns about a faltering domestic economy and dampening hopes for a quick post-pandemic reopening. Earlier, many smaller localities had suspended such testing because they could no longer afford to keep paying for millions of tests a day.
The jump in cases this month has put local authorities in a bind: They have been tasked with both easing the burden of onerous COVID controls, yet simultaneously keep cases as close to zero as possible.
"Basically, you are telling the local government to pursue conflicting goals," said Huang.
In practice, cities are now imposing targeted lockdowns in all but name as they struggle to fulfill these competing objectives. Authorities are calling the measures "silent management" — meaning residents cannot leave their homes, go to work or travel.
Zhengzhou, the capital of Henan province, vociferously denied that one of its districts is under lockdown, but residents said on social media they were mandated to stay at home. Taiyuan, the provincial capital of central Shanxi province, is also under "silent management," meaning all businesses must shut down their in-person operations and only vehicles with special exemptions will be allowed on the road.
"At present, the city's epidemic prevention and control has reached the most strenuous and critical stage," an official city notice from Taiyuan read.
The port city of Tianjin, which has logged fewer than 200 cases, announced mass-testing for the whole city last Sunday, during which residents will not be allowed to leave their homes until they obtain proof of a negative test.
In Beijing, the nation's capital, all residents in the city's largest district of Chaoyang were told to avoid leaving the district due to a spike in cases. Shanghai further tightened rules for people entering the city on Tuesday night, following a surging number of cases after a major trade fair, with all those arriving now required to take four COVID tests within five days.
In China's more far-flung regions however, under-resourced local governments mean zero-COVID controls have never eased.
Hohhot, the capital city of Inner Mongolia, has been under lockdown since early October. The residents of the western region of Xinjiang have suffered the most draconian measures, with continuous lockdowns there now exceeding 100 days, including in its capital of Urumqi.
Such stringent lockdowns have led to social unrest. Early Wednesday, violent protests broke out at a Foxconn factory in central China, the world's biggest iPhone plant. Videos posted on social media show hundreds of factory workers clashing with security guards over lack of pay and what workers say are unfair COVID policies.
The restrictions and discontent have put a dent in production. Earlier this month, Apple said in a statement that it has temporarily reduced iPhone 14 production because of COVID-19 restrictions at its primary iPhone assembly plant in China.
The unrest highlights the tensions between Beijing's rigid COVID rules and its urge to resume the economy. But until more concrete directions come from the central government, local authorities will be forced to square competing objectives.
veryGood! (59714)
Related
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Virginia man arrested on suspicion of 'concealment of dead body' weeks after wife vanishes
- Christina Hall's Ex Ant Anstead Calls Himself Lucky Boy While Praising Girlfriend Renée Zellweger
- Amazon announces upcoming discount event, Prime Big Deal Days in October: What to know
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Let’s remember these are kids: How to make the Little League World Series more fun
- Oklahoma teachers were told to use the Bible. There’s resistance from schools as students return
- Dr. Fauci was hospitalized with West Nile virus and is now recovering at home, a spokesperson says
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Bears' Douglas Coleman III released from hospital after being taken off field in ambulance
Ranking
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Danny Jansen to make MLB history by playing for both Red Sox and Blue Jays in same game
- Judge rules Breonna Taylor’s boyfriend caused her death, dismisses some charges against ex-officers
- 'I will be annoyed by his squeaky voice': Drew Bledsoe on Tom Brady's broadcasting debut
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Hailey Bieber and Justin Bieber Are Parents: We’re Confident You’ll Love Their Rhode to Baby
- Texas chief who called Uvalde response ‘abject failure’ but defended his state police is retiring
- Popular family YouTuber Ms. Rachel is coming out with a toy line very soon
Recommendation
Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
Anesthesiologist with ‘chloroform fetish’ admits to drugging, sexually abusing family’s nanny
Judge rules Breonna Taylor’s boyfriend caused her death, dismisses some charges against ex-officers
Zayn Malik Shows Off Full Beard and Hair Transformation in New Video
All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
Why TikToker Jools Lebron Is Gagged by Jennifer Lopez Embracing Demure Trend
Isabella Strahan Poses in Bikini While Celebrating Simple Pleasures After Cancer Battle
Murderer's Ex-Wife Breaks Cold Case Wide Open After 35 Years in Girl on the Milk Carton Preview