Current:Home > ScamsMinneapolis passes Gaza cease-fire resolution despite mayor’s veto -MoneyStream
Minneapolis passes Gaza cease-fire resolution despite mayor’s veto
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 04:52:27
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The Minneapolis City Council overrode a mayoral veto on Thursday and approved a resolution that calls for a cease-fire in Gaza and for an end to U.S. military funding to Israel.
The office of Mayor Jacob Frey, who is Jewish, said he has been “clear and consistent” in his support for a cease-fire, but he vetoed the resolution last week because he was concerned about its language being “one-sided” and about rising antisemitism in Minneapolis and beyond.
The resolution calls on state and federal authorities to advance a full, immediate and permanent cease-fire; provide urgently needed humanitarian aid; stop U.S. military funding to Israel; release Israeli hostages taken by Hamas; and release thousands of Palestinians “held indefinitely without cause and trial in Israeli military prisons.”
Council President Elliott Payne and Council Vice President Aisha Chughtai said in a joint statement that they are proud of the nine council members who voted to override the mayor’s veto.
Sana Wazwaz, a leader in American Muslims for Palestine’s Minnesota chapter, said in a statement that the vote signals a radical shift in what is considered acceptable criticism of Israel. Wazwaz said the Minneapolis resolution is unique because it calls for a complete end to U.S. aid to Israel.
Jewish Voice for Peace’s Twin Cities chapter also expressed support for the council’s decision. “As Jews who took part in this process, we were guided by our values and experiences of intergenerational trauma that led us to say ‘never again’ for anyone,” said Nat El-Hai of Jewish Voice for Peace in a statement.
Minneapolis is the latest U.S. city to approve such a non-binding resolution, following Chicago, Atlanta, Detroit and San Francisco in recent months.
According to the Associated Press on Thursday, the Palestinian death toll from the war has surpassed 27,000 people, the Health Ministry in Gaza said. A quarter of Gaza’s residents are starving.
The war began with Hamas’ Oct. 7 assault into Israel, in which militants killed about 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and abducted around 250. Hamas is still holding over 130 hostages, but around 30 of them are believed to be dead.
veryGood! (91316)
Related
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- These Secrets About Mary Poppins Are Sweeter Than a Spoonful of Sugar
- Pumpkin Everything! Our Favorite Pumpkin Home, Beauty, and Fashion Items
- Does American tennis have a pickleball problem? Upstart’s boom looms out of view at the US Open
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Baywatch’s Nicole Eggert Shares She's in a Grey Area Amid Breast Cancer Battle
- Disbarred celebrity lawyer Tom Girardi found guilty of stealing millions from his clients
- Juan Soto just getting started – with monster payday right around the corner
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- Erika Jayne's Ex Tom Girardi Found Guilty on 4 Counts of Wire Fraud
Ranking
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- The price of happiness? $200,000, according to one recent survey
- Selena Gomez Reacts to Taylor Swift Potentially Doing Only Murders in the Building Cameo
- Edwin Moses documentary to debut Sept. 21 at his alma mater, Morehouse College
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Trailer for Christopher Reeve 'Super/Man' documentary offers glimpse into late actor's life
- NFL owners approve rule allowing portion of franchise to be sold to private equity firms
- Texas judge halts Biden program offering legal status to immigrants married to US citizens
Recommendation
Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
New Hampshire resident dies after testing positive for mosquito-borne encephalitis virus
Brian Austin Green and Tori Spelling didn't speak for 18 years after '90210'
Taylor Swift shuts down rumors of bad blood with Charli XCX
San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
Leonard Riggio, who forged a bookselling empire at Barnes & Noble, dead at 83
Olive Garden's Never Ending Pasta Bowl promotion is back: Here's how long it's available
Clemson football coach Dabo Swinney won't take live calls on weekly radio show