Current:Home > MarketsDozens feared drowned crossing Mediterranean from Libya, aid group says -MoneyStream
Dozens feared drowned crossing Mediterranean from Libya, aid group says
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 02:39:48
Survivors rescued from a deflating rubber dinghy in the central Mediterranean Sea have reported that some 60 people who departed Libya with them a week ago perished during the journey, the humanitarian rescue group SOS Mediterranee said Thursday.
The European charity's ship Ocean Viking spotted the dinghy with 25 people on board Wednesday. Two were unconscious, and were evacuated by the Italian military for treatment. The other 23 were in serious condition, exhausted, dehydrated and with burns from fuel on board the boat.
"After yesterday's rescue of 25 people in very weak health condition, a medical evacuation took place in cooperation with the Italian Coast Guards," said SOS Mediterranee in an update shared Thursday on social media. The two unconscious people could not be roused by members of the rescue team and were flown by helicopter to Sicily, the group said.
SOS Mediterranee spokesperson Francesco Creazzo said that the survivors were all male, 12 of them minors with two of those not yet teenagers. They were from Senegal, Mali and The Gambia.
Creazzo said the survivors were traumatized and unable to give full accounts of what had transpired during the voyage. Humanitarian organizations often rely on accounts of survivors when pulling together the numbers of dead and missing at sea, presumed to have died.
The survivors' boat departed from Zawiya, Libya, seven days before the rescue, SOS Mediterranee said.
"Their engine broke after 3 days, leaving their boat lost adrift without water and food for days," the group shared in another social media post. Citing survivors, that update noted that "at least 60 people perished on the way, including women and at least one child."
The U.N. International Organization for Migration says 227 people have died along the perilous central Mediterranean route this year through March 11, not counting the new reported missing and presumed dead. That's out of a total 279 deaths in the Mediterranean since Jan. 1. A total of 19,562 people arrived in Italy using that route in the period.
Last year, about 100 migrants were rescued after a dangerously overcrowded fishing boat sunk in the Mediterranean near the coast of Greece. At least 82 people were killed and hundreds more were never found, according to officials. The tragedy shined a light on the notorious, risky journey across the Mediterranean that thousands of migrants undertake every month in hopes of reaching Europe. Tunisia and Libya are two main departure points.
- In:
- Libya
- Migrants
- Mediterranean Sea
veryGood! (15445)
Related
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Katy Perry Explains What Led to Her Year-Long Split From Orlando Bloom and How It Saved Her Life
- Police say 11-year-old used 2 guns to kill former Louisiana mayor and his daughter
- Pregnant Gypsy Rose Blanchard Shares Glimpse at Her Baby in 20-Week Ultrasound
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- ‘Fake heiress’ Anna Sorokin will compete on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ amid deportation battle
- Naomi Campbell remains iconic – and shades Anna Wintour – at Harlem's Fashion Row event
- Sister Wives' Christine Brown Shares Vulnerable Message for Women Feeling Trapped
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Florida doctor found liable for botching baby's circumcision tied to 6 patient deaths
Ranking
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Will Tiffani Thiessen’s Kids follow in Her Actor Footsteps? The Saved by the Bell Star Says…
- Hunter Biden’s tax trial carries less political weight but heavy emotional toll for the president
- Former Venezuelan political prisoner arrested in Miami after a fatal hit-and-run crash, police say
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Khloe Kardashian Shares Sweet Insight Into Son Tatum’s Bond With Saint West
- Kelly Ripa's Daughter Lola Consuelos Wears Her Mom's Dress From 30 Years Ago
- What is The New Yorker cover this week? Why the illustration has the internet reacting
Recommendation
Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
Tori Spelling, Olympic rugby star Ilona Maher, Anna Delvey on 'Dancing With the Stars'
Deion Sanders takes show to Nebraska: `Whether you like it or not, you want to see it'
Should I buy stocks with the S&P 500 at an all-time high? History has a clear answer.
Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
Mayor condemns GOP Senate race ad tying Democrat to Wisconsin Christmas parade killings
2 Phoenix officers shot, 1 in critical condition, police say; suspect in custody
Nebraska Supreme Court will hear lawsuit challenging measure to expand abortion rights